The hot weather is here and it’s time for frozen treats. That said, if you struggle to digest milk or if you have dietary restrictions such as through veganism, you’ll be looking for delicious dairy-free ice creams this year. Just like the traditional desserts made from milk, those without that central ingredient are not all created equal.
There are some truly delicious dairy-free ice creams and there are some that are not-so stellar. Since you want to get the most out of your frozen desserts, particularly considering the fact that they usually cost more than the traditional form, it’s good to know which ones have the best reputation.
That way, you have a better chance at finding delicious dairy-free ice creams that you’ll absolutely love. Consider the following to get yourself started on the right foot:
• SO Delicious – The best thing about this frozen treat is right there in the name. The brand offers dairy-free alternatives to ice cream that include options based on cashew milk, soy milk, coconut milk and almond milk. The consistency is quite close to dairy-based ice cream and the flavors are spot-on. Moreover, this brand is quite easy to find at most grocery stores, which carry a number of the company’s many flavors.
• Coconut Bliss – This is one of Luna and Larry’s brands. It features all natural ingredients with an organic coconut milk ice cream base. They have a number of different flavors so there’s certain to be something to appeal to every customer. This brand is found at most grocery stores.
• Trader Joe’s – This non-dairy ice cream is based on coconut milk and/or soy milk and its flavors are extremely tasty. They’re great on a cone or in a dish, but they also perform well in milkshakes or sundaes. These taste so good that the tubs don’t normally last very long in the freezer. It’s dangerous to eat this ice cream straight out of the tub because before you know it, it’s all gone!
• DF Mavens – This is a much smaller brand but its incredible texture and flavor are helping it to grow very quickly. Made in Manhattan, it’s rapidly expanding its availability throughout New York State and is becoming a favorite among people who want gluten-free, dairy-free, preservative-free, cholesterol-free and even kosher frozen treats. It produces lines based on almond milk, coconut milk and soy milk and it also has a no sugar-added collection.
• Taste the Dream – The almond milk based frozen treats from this brand have earned a great deal of applause from the dairy-free community. The rice-based and soy-based products don’t tend to perform as well, but those with the Almond Dream label, such as the ice cream sandwiches, are truly beloved. These are readily available at most large grocery stores.