Fast Food News
One of the biggest problems we face today concerning our weight loss goals is the variety of fast food and restaurants we have to choose from. Above all, I believe preparing meals at home is a healthier choice and will save you money. Still, an occasional meal out will not hurt your weight loss efforts. Your dining out can fit in with your weight loss goals if you make a few simple choices while in a restaurant.
- Choose water to drink instead of other beverages. Even some types of diet soda can cause an insulin release which triggers fat storage.
- Choose grilled, roasted, or broiled items instead of fried items.
- Watch your portion sizes. Restaurants today often give portions that are 2 or 3 times larger than a recommended portion size thus tempting us to eat more than we normally would if we were to prepare our own meals. A lot of restaurants will allow you to order half servings. If not, try sharing your meal and the cost with a friend. You can even opt to take half of your food home for another meal.
- Ask for dressings and sauces on the side and only use what you need. Condiments at restaurants can often add a lot of flavor just by using a small amount. They also can add a lot of fat and calories to your meals if you aren’t careful.
- Either say no to dessert or opt to split one with a friend. Sorbets with fruit are also great dessert alternatives. I almost never take a dessert home because I will inevitably eat it late at night or some other time I really shouldn’t.
Issue Number 1
For those times when you are forced into eating at a fast food restaurant, there are several healthier options out there these days. Most places have salads now…just watch the dressing. A hamburger at McDonalds is 260 calories with 9 grams of fat. Just stay away from those fries, and opt for a small salad. Other good choices are listed below. I usually opt for the higher protein choices to help me maintain my blood glucose levels and feel full for a longer time.
|Calories Fat Protein|
|McDonalds Fruit & Walnut Salad
Wendy’s Large Chili with Saltines
Subway’s Grilled Chicken & Spinach
Taco Bell Chicken Gordita Baja ‘Fresco’
Arby’s Grilled Chicken Deluxe
Hardy’s Regular Roast Beef
Burger King Veggie Burger no mayo
McDonalds Grilled Chicken on wheat
|310 9g 5g
325 7.5g 26g
140 3g 20g
230 6g 15g
380 12g 29g
333 16g 19g
300 7g 14g
400 16g 27g